For help, see our suggestions about Revision strategies and memory techniques.
Exam preparation checklist
The night before:
- Check the time and place of this exam.
- Check you’ve got the equipment you need – pens, pencils, calculator, water etc
- Decide what to wear. Wear layers in case the exam room is cold or hot.
- Be sure you have your Student ID card!
- Set an alarm and that means you have enough time in the morning.
- Eat well and obtain enough sleep if you are able to.
At the time:
- Eat a good breakfast.
- Check you’ve got all that’s necessary for the exam before leaving home.
- Arrive at the exam room in fun time.
- Get some fresh air on just how when possible.
- Turn off your phone and place it in your bag as instructed because of the invigilator.
- Take water towards the exam room.
When you look at the exam room:
- Check again which you have all that’s necessary. For those who have forgotten something important, inform the invigilator.
- Put your watch in your bag as instructed because of the invigilator.
- Check you will be comfortable.
- If you have any problems allow the invigilator know immediately.
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
Answering MCQ exams is very different to exams that are essay-based. Often the marks are evenly weighted for all the questions; however, some will take you more than others to answer.
- See the instructions carefully.
- Read through all of the questions quickly. Answer all the ones you definitely know first and leave the hard ones until last.
- You will need to think about the answer before you look during the choices.
What if my mind goes blank mid-answer?
Re-read what you have written to date and look at your plan. If this doesn’t help, simply leave a gap. You’ll likely remember the information that is missing you relax towards the end regarding the exam. Then return to your answer and finish it.
Imagine if i am running out of time?
Remain calm. Have a look at how many questions you have got left to answer and work out how much time you have to invest in each question. You’ll likely gain the absolute most marks if you attempt all the answers as opposed to spending all the time on a few questions and missing some out altogether. When you yourself have a lot of ideas and are usually reluctant to leave an unfinished question, write them down in pencil in order to return to the question later if you have time.
Advice from an examiner
The tips below may seem obvious, but reading them beforehand shall allow you to remember them when you are in the exam room.
See the instructions
Make sure you are clear about how exactly questions that are many need certainly to answer. If questions are divided into sub-questions, check whether you must answer one of the sub-questions or each of them. Always check the back associated with paper for further questions.
Read all the relevant questions carefully
Go through all the questions before deciding regarding the best combination. Be sure you determine what the question is asking you. Underline the key term or phrases.
Plan your time and effort
Plan the right time it is possible to spend on each question and allow time for checking at the end of the exam.
Look at the marks
Check how marks that are many readily available for each question. If the number that is same of is available for each question, make sure you allocate roughly the same length of time to every one.
Plan each answer
Plan each answer on a page that is rough-working writing it when it comes to examiners. This will help you to structure your answer.
Note through the examiner: Most students believe they get the most marks for correct facts. The logic, clarity and organisation of the work are at least as important as its content to the contrary.
Answer the question
Be sure you answer the question that is from the paper and not the one you hoped will be there!
Note from the examiner: the fault that is commonest any written work is a failure to help keep to the level and answer comprehensively the question. Whenever you write an examination answer, you will need to assess what is relevant quality essay writing services. What does the question ask?
Your handwriting is very important. Take care to make sure that it really is legible.
Note through the examiner: yourself to write more clearly if you know your handwriting is difficult for others to read, train. If writing can be so unclear that the text have to be puzzled out one after the other, it is difficult to put the separate words together in one single’s mind and grasp the meaning that is overall.
Name the key thinkers/experts
When you discuss ideas/techniques associated with specific individuals, mention their name. When possible, give an illustration associated with the written book or article title.
Where relevant, illustrate theory with concrete examples.
Note from the examiner: If there is a ‘stock example’ that the textbooks or the lectures always quote, attempt to give a example that is different. This shows that you’ve got understood that presssing issue well enough to identify a good example on your own. It is more impressive than simply memorising the stock example.
Use all the time
You ought to aim to complete your answers prior to the end of the exam and use the extra time to check your answers and correct any mistakes.